Compatibility

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:38:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Werner Koch wrote:

> And with a good reason. 2 years back most folks agredd on that RSA is
> a bad thing.
Due to legal or due to technical reasons? I believe that most cryptographers believe that when you crack one algorithm you can probably also crack the other so I guess it are non-technical reasons.
> These whole compatibilty story to PGP remembers me a bit of the strategy
> other (big) verndors are driving. Take a standard, add some nice little
> gadget which is not covered by the standard and claim that you use the new
> Standard. Microsoft did this recently with Kerberos.
The difference here is that MS is not publishing its changes so any tool that wants to be compatible, like Samba, must reverse-engineer the changes. That is not the case with the photo-ID packets. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html