getting rid of blowfishes

cFischer ino-waiting@gmx.net
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 22:53:05 +0200

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 02:25:20PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> ElGamal S+E keys are fully OpenPGP compatible and GnuPG avoids the
> problems. I don't suggest to use them, however some folks feel like
> it is a good idea to have a fallback algorithm.
so what _are_ the well known probs with elgamal s+e which gnupg avoids?
> Blowfish is a well respected algorithm and has been used by the first
> PGP 5 version. It is faster than CAST-5 and OpenPGP compatible.
> Twofish is not yet OpenPGP and not in wide use mainly because NAI
> refused to accept most OpenGPG WG suggestions because they don't want
> to implement it in their product.
i guess it was rabbi who said blowfish isn't all that well reviewed. you see, the problem with my less thna profound background in math is that i have to trust the reviewers. could someone please be nice enough to give a comparison of the symmetric/asymmetric ciphers implemented in gnupg?
-*- YES! -*- -- ino-waiting@gmx.net