Getting started with GnuPG

Sam Roberts sam@cogent.ca
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:35:02 -0400

--vK5yM77DdDdxub+F

Quoting Felix Karpfen <felkarp@pcug.org.au>, who wrote:

> I have recently (successfully?) installed gnupg-1.0.1. However, I have
> ground to a halt when exploring the supplying of the required defaults
> to be able to use the program.
Did you attempt to follow the step-by-step in the manual? It walks you through this, at what point are you stuck?
> The problem can almost certainly be resolved in two sentences.
>=20
> In the GPG Manual, the creation of a key pair with the command `gpg
> --gen-key' reportedly requests the information `Real name' which the
> software then combines with the email address to construct the user id.=
=20 "reportedly"? Are you implying that you actually attempted to generate a key pair, but that you weren't prompted for Real Name? What exactly is the problem you encountered?
> On the other hand, the documentation that came with the program (and
> refers specifically to Version 1.0) includes `8 Ways to Specify a User
> ID' (two of which include an email address).
You aren't specifying a key, you're creating one. Once you've created it you can use one of those 8 ways to refer to it.
> My questions are:
>=20
> a) what is the significance of the email address in the user id; and
It allows a key to be associated with an email address, which is assumed to be associated with a person. Conversely, it allows an email address to be associated with a key.