Using gpg for french law

John C. Place John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:40:17 -0400

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:52:04PM +0200, Bruno Vidal wrote:

> Hi I've succeded to compil and use gpg, it works fine, but now
> I've a problem to use it in france. The law in france allow only
> 128bits key. So my question is: is it possible to use gpg with
> 128bits key ? In fact I've already made modifications to use it
> with 128bits, but I succeded to create small key and crypt
> message with it, but I'm unable to decrypt it :-( So there is a
> solution or not ?

I am not a crypto expert but blowfish is 128bit (or less?). ELG key is a diferent scale all together, and only it only encripts the 128 bit blowfish session key. That bit count on a ELG key is how large the number to be factored is. They are not compairable to each other as far as strength. I don't know is this is going to help but I thought I would throw that out there. Also a 128bit ELG key I think would be pretty insecure because as far as a computer is concerned that is a small number to be factored. I am not a math guru but it seems that way to me. Good Luck John John C. Place jcplace@attglobal.net http://profile.guru.com/placej http://placej.interactivecore.com/public_key.txt UNIX is a very user-friendly system--it's just not promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org