GNUPG and PGP FreeWare 6.5.3

noodlez pietrzak@megahertz.net
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:46:07 -0400

after hours of mental anguish (literally), I finally got it to work
thanks for your help

I got desperate.  I downloaded the source for GNUPG 1.0.2 (before I
installed via RPM), compiled it on my slow comp, and installed it.  I
went to OPTIONS in
PGPkeys in win95 and set it that the ONLY allowed algorithm is CAST5.  I
also added a few lines to my ~/.gnupg/options:

cipher-algo CAST5
s2k-cipher-algo CAST5
s2k-digest-algo SHA1
compress-algo 1
disable-cipher-algo BLOWFISH
disable-cipher-algo TWOFISH
disable-cipher-algo 3DES
disable-pubkey-algo ELG

i prolly disabled something i shouldn't, but.... it works :)
This OPTIONS file would support the following algo's:   (accessed by
hitting 'gpg --version')
Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: CAST5
Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA

I went over to GPG and created new keys *with* a good password.
Exported it ('gpg --armor
--output key4pgp --no-comment --export-secret-key
pietrzak@megahertz.net') and imported it into PGP with no problems.
also, you can't have the line "force-v3-sigs" commented because then PGP
in win95 says it's a bad signature (question: why??).
now I can encrypt and sign any file in PGP in win95 and de-crypt it in
GPG, and vice-versa. :)
just one question though: when i imported the GPG keys into PGP, it said
(and still says) that the cipher is IDEA, but i can't be because my GPG
doesn't even recognize IDEA.  is PGP wrong?
Oliver, about your RSA question: I don't think so.  the only difference
I could think of would be if you *created* the secret key using the RSA
module.