lock while verifying?

John C. Place John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:20:13 -0400

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 03:50:17PM -0700, David Ellement wrote:

> I've installed RedHat 6.2 at home, which includes gpg 1.0.1. When I
> try verifying a signature, it prints out the signature message, and
> then sits spewing out:
>
> gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 1091 - probably dead) ...
> gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 1091 - probably dead) ...
>
> and doesn't exit.
>
> What causes this,

gpg dying (or being killed) before it can clear it's locks
> and how do I go about preventing it?

To fix it go into ~/.gnupg and delete the lock file(s) there may be more than one. I forget the names so please be careful and backup before just rm-ing away. Ohh yeah make sure gpg is not currently running. Preventing it is a little tougher, find out what is making gpg die and report it. I have seen this once so far but I have to admin I do not do a lot of key management or encryption. Good luck John John C. Place jcplace@attglobal.net http://profile.guru.com/placej http://placej.interactivecore.com/public_key.txt UNIX is a very user-friendly system--it's just not promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org