DSA = DSS?

John Bacalle john@unixen.org
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 02:05:24 -0400

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 06:37:14AM -0700, L. Sassaman wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Bacalle wrote:
-snip GnuPG/PGP can exchange DSA/DSS messages?-
> For some reason, the encryption subkey in PGP is called "DH". It's really
> ElGamal Encryption (ELG-E).

> The [digital signature] algorithm used in PGP is DSA, [the]
> hash is SHA-1.
(Thanks to Werner and yourself I have a better understanding of things now. Much gratitude! I need to explicitly clarify, though.) So, if PGP does DSA-SHA1 (but, calls it DSS - fine), and GnuPG does the same (it's the default --gen-key option afterall), therefore both can fully inter-operate in this pubkey format? Ditto ELG-E/DH?
OK. [Recapping] GnuPG PGP ----- --- (DSA/DSS)SHA1 Y Y ELG-E/DH Y Y ELG Y N RSA N* Y IDEA N* Y * It is Y(es) if the module/patch available is applied. I am already aware that GnuPG can do RSA (although can it also generate RSA keys after patching?), but rather I was more wondering how firm was the inter-operation of the newer pubkey/signkey formats between the two applications? Thus, it appears to me at this point that if I use the default GnuPG --gen-key option (DSA + ELG-E w/SHA1) I will be just fine communicating with PGP 5/6 users. John -- John Bacalle -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org