DSA = DSS?

John Bacalle john@unixen.org
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 02:31:00 -0400

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 10:29:03AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Bacalle wrote:
>
> > As far as I can tell from reading docs and FAQs[1] DSA (as it appears in
> > GnuPG) is the same as DSS under PGP (as it appears in PGP 5/6), yes?
>
> DSA = Digital Signature Algorithm.
>
> DSS = Digital Signature Standard.
> This is the combination of DSA, the SHA-1 hash algorithm and
> some other minor things.
>
> DH = Diffie-Hellman Keyexchange (PGP uses this for ELG-E)
>
> ELG = ElGamal Encryption (can be used for signatures but is not
> suggested).
>
> ELG-E = Same as ELG but has another OpenPGP identifier number which
> flags it as only to be used for encryption. This is what
> PGP calls DH.
You know a GnuPG FAQ should follow the PGP way of highlighting their cipher/pubkeys like so: DSS/DH : DSA/ELG-E *hehehe* [But seriously] If this exact kind of information is in a FAQ, either GnuPG or PGP (pgpi.org was a place I also looked for this kind of information), I plum missed it. In another reply I'm sending now there is a little diagram that should also be listed in a FAQ somewhere, or something like it. Assuming that my understanding is correct. John -- John Bacalle -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org