using a keyserver

David Benfell benfell@greybeard95a.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:58:10 -0700

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

Hello all,

I must have missed something:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Thu Aug 17 12:46:37 2000) --]
gpg: Signature made Tue 15 Aug 2000 02:25:54 PM PDT using ? key ID
85208D9D
gpg: requesting key 85208D9D from search.keyserver.net ...
gpg: [fd 6]: read error: Connection reset by peer
gpg: Total number processed: 0
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
[-- End of PGP output --]

I get the above when I read a message from someone whose key is not in
my keyring.  It's mutt:

Mutt 1.2.5i (2000-07-28)
Copyright (C) 1996-2000 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.4.0-test4 [using ncurses 5.0]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
+HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_PGP  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL=3D"/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH=3D"Maildir/"
SHAREDIR=3D"/usr/local/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR=3D"/usr/local/etc"
ISPELL=3D"/usr/bin/ispell"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@mutt.org>.
To report a bug, please use the muttbug utility.

And my version of gnupg is also recent:

benfell@area66-1:~ > gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG

I have added the following to the default ~/.gnupg/options file:

keyserver search.keyserver.net

This was per the directions on the keyserver.net web page.

Hopefully, I've provided enough information that you can at least
tell me what other information you need.  What's wrong?

Thanks!

--=20
David Benfell
benfell@greybeard95a.com