FW: Serious bug in PGP - versions 5 and 6

Simpson, Sam s.simpson@mia.co.uk
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:17:34 +0100

Further insightful comments from Adam Back (a "good guy" from the UK).

Regards,

Sam Simpson
http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/

http://www.cypherspace.org/~adam/cdr/ "Keys used to encrypt email which is transmitted over the Internet are more valuable to an attacker than keys used to encrypt stored files because of the relative ease with which an attacker can obtain copies of emailed ciphertext. Stored encrypted files in contrast are protected by all the physical security systems the company is relying on to protect it's paper files, plaintext data stored on disks, and backup tapes. [...]" There was also lots of political discussion of how unwise it was for PGP to create a escrow infrastructure which could as easily be used by governments as by SEC companies to archive their employees communications. And people quoting Phil Zimmermann a few years earlier complaining about ViaCrypt's PGP4 for business variant which had "escrow" in the form of a third party "encrypt-to-self" config file setting. And I believe I recall the NSA or some other US government body picking up on the CMR / ADK mechanism and holding it up as evidence against the claim that key recover was complex ... "see PGP did it, this works".