GnuPG 1.0.4-1 + IDEA for Windows

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:05:34 +0100

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Keith Ray wrote:

> I have been able to successfully cross-compile GnuPG 1.0.4-1 to include the
> IDEA cipher for Windows. Since this binary now includes both RSA and IDEA, it
> should be fully backwards compatible with PGP 2.6.x.
>
> The following changes were made from a "standard" cross-compile:
> 1. Statically linked idea.c. Unlike Cygwin, this release requires no DLLs.
By releasing this software you are violating the GPL: 7. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of patent infringement or for any other reason (not limited to patent issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the Program at all. For example, if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Program by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Program. Please stop distributing this release.
> extensive testing so use caution. The binary can be downloaded at
> www.nullify.org. Please email me if you have any questions or problems.
If you are providing the binary, you have to provide the source too. One hint: By releasing a patch to GnuPG under a license which does not have the patent clause and is compatible with the GPL, you can avoid the GPL violation. Frankly, this is the reason why those modules are there. The GNU project does not distribute them but a user may choose to acquire them and use them together with GnuPG. Werner -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org