question regarding gnupg in my regular signature

Andrew McDonald andrew@mcdonald.org.uk
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:17:02 +0000

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 04:29:32PM +0000, Andrew McDonald wrote:

> AFAIK, with the Outlook plug-in you would need to separately
> encrypt/sign any attachments first (I'll double check that tomorrow).
An update on this. It appears that the plug-in does sign/encrypt attachments. However, attachments are signed/encrypted separately from the body of the e-mail. This separate signing has a clear semantic difference to the PGP/MIME situation where they are signed together as a whole. As an example, consider a situation where I send a contract attached to an e-mail. The body of the e-mail says 'This is a draft. We aren't happy with it yet, and won't sign it until we've made some further alterations.' PGP/MIME signs the combined body and attachment. The PGP plug-in to Outlook signs them separately. The recipient can take the contract and show it to others with my signature on it, without showing them my qualifying statement from the body of the e-mail. Andrew -- Andrew McDonald E-mail: andrew@mcdonald.org.uk http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/andrew/ -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org