Setting up gpg on an IRIX web server

Greg McKean Greg@McKean.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:33:24 -0600

To Whom it may concern,
I am in the process of trying to get gpg working on an IRIX web server that
I do not have telnet or direct access to. A gentle soul sent me a
pre-compiled binary of gpg v.1.0.0 which to my knowledge is working
correctly. I am currently faking a telnet session with perl but can only
view the output of any one command, I can't actually interact with it. When
I run the command "pgpfiles/gpg.bin" I always recieve the error:

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: ~/.gnupg: can't create directory: No such file or directory
gpg: keyblock resource `~/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: ~/.gnupg: can't create directory: No such file or directory
gpg: keyblock resource `~/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: processing message failed: eof

I created a directory called .gnupg off of the directory that contains gpg
(pgpfiles) but still recieve the above message. I'm not a UNIX person but I
figured that is where ~/.gnupg refers to. Where is it actually looking? I
also created the same dir off of my document root in case that is where it
was looking but recieved the same results. I can't actually create anything
off of the real root because I am on a virtual web server account.

Could someone point me to where I could find out 1) exactly which files are
absolutley nessesary for proper execution and 2)where do they belong? Or am
I possibly just missing an environment variable(like PGPPath for PGP) or
something that would tell gpg where to find it's support files? I've read
the handbook but it starts with "make"ing and doesn't really go into
configuration. What configuration info I could find assumes you have total
access to the machine in question and did a regular make. Also, as I said, I
don't have telnet access or an IRIX box to actually build anything myself
which makes this harder to do.

In the beginning of this fiasco I found a PGP v.2.6.2 IRIX binary and it
took me a couple of days to get it working on the server. I was able to
create the randseed.bin and keychains on a DOS box that also worked on the
IRIX server. Can I use those for gpg also or do I need to create new ones?
Is there a way to do this without the telnet or actuall IRIX box access?
I stopped developement of the PGP related scripts after talking with a
Network Associates rep who told me that MINIMUM pgp would cost $4500 (two
year subscription) to use on a commercial website. STEEEP. Plus considering
how they don't support IRIX I would be paying for the 2.6.2 version that I
found on the net, not a recent version. NICE.

In case it helps, when I run "gpg --gen-key" I get:

gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.0; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: ~/.gnupg: can't create directory: No such file or directory
gpg: keyblock resource `~/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: ~/.gnupg: can't create directory: No such file or directory
gpg: keyblock resource `~/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address

which, at least to me, would indicate that the binary is good at least.

Thanks for any help,
Yes, I do know I ramble,

Greg McKean
Greg@McKean.com