Weird trust problem

Zygo Blaxell fnn0yhmu@umail.furryterror.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:32:12 GMT

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:20:31 -0500 (EST), H. Wade Minter <minter@lunenburg.org> wrote:

>Using gnupg 1.0.1 on a FreeBSD system. I've run into a stumper of a
>trust problem, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.
>
>I'm going to encrypt a message to a guy whose public key I have, and I've
>signed said public key. But when I go to encrypt the message, I get the
>following warning:
>
>- -------
>Could not find a valid trust path to the key. Let's see whether we
>can assign some missing owner trust values.
>
>No certificates with undefined trust found.

[...]
>However, I've personally signed that key, as can be seen below:

[...]
>- -----
>
>I'm stumped as to why it's complaining about the validity of the key. If
>anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.
I've seen this problem as well, although I don't know a solution for it. "--always-trust" works around the problem but of course it opens a whole new can of worms... gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1 [as seen in Debian frozen i386] Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details. Home: ~/.gnupg Supported algorithms: Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG Hash: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160 -- OpenPGP email preferred at <zblaxell@feedme.hungrycats.org>. OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net and other fine keyservers. OpenPGP fingerprint: 2B32 546D 21A5 0DB2 20C8 AF10 1D4A 610E 6972 2DEE