Can't find my own key?

Lazarus Long lazarus@overdue.ompages.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:58:45 +0000

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

2 signatures not checked due to missing keys

That was the output I received, which certainly makes me wonder.
Here is how you can obtain it for yourself, if you choose to be equally
confused. :)

[Step zero: perhaps back up ~/.gnupg/* before testing this.]

First, find a keyid that you know is on your ring but which has not
been touched in any way by you (such as one recently imported via mutt
to check a message signature.)

Then,=20
$ gpg --edit-key {that keyid}

Then, lsign it (which you can undo later if you choose, or simply pick a
key that you do want to lsign.)

Then, type check.

The key in question had a preexisting signature (which perhaps was
actually from an unavailable key) and the second signature was the one
I just applied.  Yes, my very own default signing key, which had just
been found (and used), apparently could no longer be found.

Bug?  "Operator error"?  Reproducible on other systems?

--=20
Please (OpenPGP) encrypt all mail whenever possible. Request the following
Public Keys for Lazarus Long <lazarus@overdue.ompages.com>

  Type    Bits/KeyID    Fingerprint                   DSA KeyID: vvvv vvvv
ElGamal: 2048g/41783186 47A0 0929 CD9F B53E 49C0  F06C 560E F574 ED0D F80C

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--