Netscape GPG

Walter Truitt Walter.Truitt@usa.alcatel.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:14:44 -0600 (CST)

---559023410-139321115-947258084=:23661

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> One disadvantage of this is that mailing list software may decide to
> convert quoted printables to 8bit and thus invalidate the signature.
> Like the one running this list did with a recent message
> (<19991204161604.A2317@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>) of mine!
>
> Walter
A little odd seeing my name on someone else's message. :) There are not many Walters here. My preference would have definately been to have a signature sign a part before it is attached to an email. In this format, mail programs that save parts automatically (like what someone mentioned of eudora), the part can still be verified. It would still have been possible to sign a multipart/mixed. I am guessing there is a way to write a multipart mixed to a file here. It is definately not something that is usually done. I guess that doesn't make much sense. Signing multipart would be about equivalent to the current for signing the whole message. And for programs that automatically save attachments, it would not be possible to put together the multipart to check a signature. Basically I would like to sign a simple message (text only) by attaching a signature that would work when checking only the text body (no mime header). Similar signatures could be made for each part. The signature should be against the format of the part when saved rather than the format in the message. I would at least guess that the CRLF would be used when generating a signature for text parts anyways. I suppose I could just start making my signatures in this way. People would not likely understand what to do with a signature, but most people I write don't use pgp or gpg anyways. Sorry this is probably not the correct place to discuss this, but I am unsure where is, and the topic came up on this list. -walter ---559023410-139321115-947258084=:23661 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; name=sig Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64 Content-ID: <Pine.GSO.4.05.10001070914440.23661@sun1464.ssd.usa.alcatel.com> Content-Description: Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=sig LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0NClZlcnNpb246IEdudVBH IHYxLjAuMCAoU3VuT1MpDQpDb21tZW50OiBGb3IgaW5mbyBzZWUgaHR0cDov L3d3dy5nbnVwZy5vcmcNCg0KaUQ4REJRQTRkZ0s0aUxVS2IwMzlueDRSQWpC K0FKMFYwa2hBbEdqaFZockJYcUZBbWFLSGd1RlFGQUNkRjg1eg0KTkF2djFC RkppTDdmMVZPd2N4QWd1Ync9DQo9bWF6Ug0KLS0tLS1FTkQgUEdQIFNJR05B VFVSRS0tLS0tDQo= ---559023410-139321115-947258084=:23661--