having a library pass GnuPG options

Frank Tobin ftobin@uiuc.edu
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 05:19:13 -0600 (CST)

I'm the developer of a Perl module to interact with GnuPG, and I've had a
hard time deciding how certain options should be handled when giving them
to GnuPG, as GnuPG's argument handling seems to have changed a lot in the
long time I've known it.  I understand that much of this arises from
GnuPG's notion of 'option' arguments versus 'command' arguments.

Currently, when the user want the module to clearsign a message, this is
considered a supplement to to general notion of signing the message.  The
module implements this, however, by calling GnuPG with:

gpg --clearsign

I now notice that GnuPG now graciously handles:

gpg --sign --clearsign

What is the 'preferred' call?  As I am developing for a module, I need to
heavily think about forward compatibility.  The same question go for
detached signatures; interestingly, '--clearsign' seems to override
'--detach-sig'.

If there is any reference library that interacts with GnuPG I'd like to
know about it.  I'd use mutt, except for the fact it is not a library; it
conforms to a strict routine, if I'm not mistaken.  I've once looked at
pgpglue but that seems sorely out of date.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed."  Myst: The Book of Atrus