pass phrase

Frank Tobin ftobin@uiuc.edu
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:14:32 -0600 (CST)

Werner Koch, at 18:54 on Thu, 20 Jan 2000, wrote:

> > command line, and I want to do it anyway. It's my system, let _me_
> > decide how secure I want it. Keep the FD interface for those who want
> > it, but please provide a command-line passphrase option for oddballs
>
> No. But you are free to change it yourself.
Personally, I'd like to hear an argument from Werner about this. True, on some systems such as Linux, one does not require special privileges to read other's arguments, but on other systems, such as FBSD, it requires kmem access. If the setgid flags are removed from certain files, one cannot see other's arguments, hence nullifying the problem with seeing other's arguments. -- Frank Tobin http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/ "To learn what is good and what is to be valued, those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus OpenPGP: 4F86 3BBB A816 6F0A 340F 6003 56FF D10A 260C 4FA3