keysigning ?= UIDsigning

Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
03 Jul 2000 18:34:31 +0200

Walter Truitt <wtruitt@ssd.usa.alcatel.com> writes:

[Claims that MIME-PGP is ugly and unnecessary]

> Why is that a US-centered view? I am in the US and agree that it is
> ugly, I just don't see exactly why it would be limited to here. I
> just don't like the way it works with some of my email programs.
In some regions of the world (actually, most), people can't write their native language in plain ASCII characters. The clear-signing approach doesn't work reliable if there are non-ASCII characters, and MIME-PGP is a very straightforward solution. The assumption that all languages can be adequately represented in ASCII is certainly more common among people living in the US than, for example, among Frenchmen. -- Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/ RUS-CERT +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898 http://ca.uni-stuttgart.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC06EC3B5