Key lifetime

Stefan H. Holek stefan@epy.co.at
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:11:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Stefan H. Holek wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:
> >
> > > The longer the lifetime of a key, the more likely the key is to be
> > > compromised. If you chose to retire a key, be sure to link your new key
> > > with the old by signing it with the old before the old key expires.
> >
> > Does this mean an expired key can still be used for computing trust?
>
> Yes. Read RFC 2440 if you're really interested.
This is gnupg-USERS, isn't it? Any user-level documentation on this? I obviously was missing that part and consider it valuable information, but knowing the packet formats does not help much. I am not planning to do an implementation in the near future. Still, thanks a lot Stefan -- Stefan H. Holek, stefan@epy.co.at