Can not generate a new key pair.

David L Smith dlsmith@homemail.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:32:30 -0500

This is the first time I have used Gnupg.  I read the online manual at
www.gnupg.org, read the README that came with the distribution.  The
first thing I did after installing was the command "gpg --gen-key",  I
got the following results:
[dlsmith@C255422-A dlsmith]$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) DSA and ElGamal (default)
   (2) DSA (sign only)
   (4) ElGamal (sign and encrypt)
Your selection?
DSA keypair will have 1024 bits.
About to generate a new ELG-E keypair.
              minimum keysize is  768 bits
              default keysize is 1024 bits
    highest suggested keysize is 2048 bits
What keysize do you want? (1024)
Requested keysize is 1024 bits
Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct (y/n)?

You need a User-ID to identify your key; the software constructs the
user id
from Real Name, Comment and Email Address in this form:
    "Heinrich Heine (Der Dichter) <heinrichh@duesseldorf.de>"

Real name: David L Smith (Smitty) <dlsmith@homemail.com>
Invalid character in name
Real name: "David L Smith (Smitty) <dlsmith@homemail.com>"
Invalid character in name
Real name:

What am I doing wrong?
--
  David Smith <dlsmith@homemail.com>   = Linux is free. Life is good. =
  The man scarce lives who is not more credulous than he ought to be...