PGP 5.x and GnuPG

Trevor Smith Trevor Smith" <trevor@haligonian.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:55:18 -0400 (AST)

I've been reading through web resources on GnuPG and can't find a
definitive answer to an issue that seems to me to be THE issue for
any current PGP 5.x user interested in switching to GnuPG. The issue
is basic interoperability between PGP and GnuPG and, I believe, is
summed up in these four questions:

1. Can GnuPG encrypt messages using a public key generated by PGP
5.x?

2. Can PGP 5.x encrypt messages using a public key generated by
GnuPG?

3. Can PGP 5.x verify the authenticity of messages which have been
GnuPG signed?

4. Can GnuPG verify the authenticity of messages which have been PGP
5.x signed?

Also, do the answers to the above questions change if "PGP 5.x" is
substituted with "even more recent versions of PGP"?

>From my readings on GnuPG and OpenPGP, I am guessing the answer to
all the above questions is yes. However, it seems bizarre to me that nowhere in my reading did I find a statement similar to, "GnuPG is completely compatible with PGP 5.x." If this is the case, I think this should be the first piece of information in any GnuPG documentation. Am I missing something? -- Trevor Smith | trevor@haligonian.com PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA 671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6