Collecting entropy?

Darren Cook darren@factcomm.co.jp
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:41:48

Hi,
Each time I run gen-key, after answering all the questions it spends a few
seconds putting dots and crosses on screen then says:
  Not enough random bytes available.  Please do some other work to give
  the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 20 more bytes)

Then it seems to lock up. I've tried typing in that terminal, opening
another one and running find and top, accessing the web server running on
that machine, etc. But it still just sits there - no more dots or crosses.

top is telling me it has used 0:02 seconds of processor time and is
currently using 0% of the processor. I left it around 10 minutes and
nothing happened, so I killed it and tried again. Again upto 10 minutes so
far.

top is also telling me another user has a perl script running at nice level
1 which is using up all free processor cycles (around 90%) - so that should
be the work it needs shouldn't it?

Has it crashed? Could it be caused by a missing file (I did ./configure,
then make, but as I don't have root access, I installed by manually copying
the gpg binary and then copied options.skel and edited it).

Darren

P.S. BSD machine. I tried it on Linux last night (same manual
installation), and had a similar problem, but it woke up after about one
minute and finished making the key.