bad signature

Christoph Hertel c.hertel@usa.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:51:02 +0200

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

* ccouple1@swarthmore.edu [2000.03.30]:

> When I sign and encrypt a message using my public key, correspondents
> using PGP 6.5.6 on both Mac and Windows machines report a bad
> signature, yet are able to de-crypt my message.
I don't know very much about PGP, but what I know is that you encrypt a message with *their* public key. That's why they have no problem decrypting it (with their private key). But you do sign your message with your private key and your correspondents check it with your public key. So something is wrong with either your public key/private key/signing method or their checking method.
> Has anyone else seen this behaviour, is it a bug, or am I simply
> overlooking something glaringly obvious in either configuration or
> documentation?
I have seen this before. A friend emailed me his public key (using Mutt 1.0pre3i) and signed it (the email). After importing his key gnupg said the self-sigs of the key are good but then my Mutt (1.0.1i) said the signature of the mail is BAD. The emails he has send me since all have a good signature. I can't figure out what the problem is with that mail. Maybe someone else has an idea?