Conflict with SSL

Mark Malkasian mark@web-crafter.net
Fri, 5 May 2000 09:45:39 -0400

Hi All,

I've set up GnuPG on a web site hosted remotely by the mammoth Verio
web hosting company. A Perl script I wrote issues commands through a
form to the gpg executable for encryption and decryption. (For an
industrial-strength interface with GnuPG, please see Frank Tobin's
GnuPG-Interface module at http://GnuPG-Interface.sourceforge.net/.)
If the form is submitted without SSL, GnuPG works fine. However, if
the form is submitted under SSL, I get the following error message:

gpg: failed to create temporary file
`/www69/web/myaccount/cgi-local/.gnupg/.#lk100d2918.www69.22793859':
Permission denied
gpg: fatal: /www69/web/myaccount/cgi-local/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't
create lock
secmem usage: 1408/1408 bytes in 2/2 blocks of pool 1408/16384

I'm using the server's shared certificate for SSL. I've
double-checked the paths and they're correct. (My script ran fine
without GnuPG.) In a post to one of Verio's mailing lists, I read
that someone had the same problem with PGP. The source of the problem
was apparently related to file/directory permissions that only the
superuser could change. Unfortunately, the person making the post is
long gone from Verio and the first line of tech support is a bit
baffled. Is there a way around this obstacle?

Thanks,
Mark Malkasian
Mark Malkasian
mark@web-crafter.net