GnuPG with Netscape Messenger?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:14:53 +0200

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Paul Gallagher wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to use GnuPG when using Netscape
> Messenger. Any ideas?
No way. I started to do a workaround based on a local proxy used as smarthost and pop3 host for netscape (you can enter localhost:1234 to connect to an smtp daemon running on port 1234). This tool should do all the crypto stuff and has to popup a window to ask for passphrases and to select the recipient's key. I have given up on this becuase Netscape is dead and will be replaced by one based on the Moziall code. So the canonical way to implement GnuPG into the new Netscape is by understanding how the 4 millon lines of Mozilla code are supposed to work and thenn add GnuPG support. It will happen, but don't ask me how long it is going to take. Any volunteers? Werner -- Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0 Birkenstr. 12 email wk@OpenIT.de D-40233 Duesseldorf http://www.OpenIT.de