PGP's handling of GPG's secret keys

Marc A. Matteo mmatteo@fusionstorm.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:58:26 -0800

All,

I've looked through the archives and looked through the FAQ but didn't
see this one (no it's not another "I can't import my GPG secret key into
PGP" post :)).

What I'm wondering about is what happens when you import ONLY a secret
key into PGP?  When I export a secret key by "gpg -a --export-secret-key
test > key.asc" and try to import in into another gpg application it -
expectedly - imports it only into the secret keyring.

However, importing that key into PGP actually imports a (seemingly)
fully functioning key pair, both public and private.  Really?  Is this
true?  How?

Following that, if the key's public key is then imported into PGP,
duplicate signatures appear.  I assume that this is because PGP handles
signatures differently?

But the REAL question is this.  If I export ONLY a secret key from GPG
and import it into PGP and then export the public key from that, what
have I just exported?  A secret key?  Does that make sence?

Thanks,
Marc