PGP's handling of GPG's secret keys

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:41:01 +0100

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Wesley J Landaker wrote:

> Sure: you're probably just getting a real public key that's being
> regenerated from the secret key. With most (if not all) public key
> algorithms used by PGP/GPG, the public key can be made with minimal
> effort from the secret key (whereas the converse is not true--the
Actually this used to be on my todo list but have not seen any application for that by now. Because it is not easy to keep the secret and public key in sync (think of smartcards or off-line stored secret keys), I probably remove the secret keyring and replae it by a special file which contains only the real secret parts of the key. A swiss army knife style tool for manipulating OpenPGP packets would of course make sense. Werner -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org