suggestions surrounding key generating

Stefan H. Holek stefan@epy.co.at
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:51:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Werner Koch wrote:

> I can see the problem and given the fact that the expiration date
> can be changed later, it might make sense to have a default
> expiration time: 6 months, 1 year or 2 years?
This of course depends on the policy. IMHO 2 years is a reasonable lifetime for a key that gets used. But if this default expiration is mainly intended to prevent screwed up keys to linger around forever, I would recommend to make it rather short and advise users to change it when they are positive their key is the way they want it. On second thought though, not. This just would add *another* thing to think about in the already complex process of keyhandling. More often than not, there is no real technical solution to lacking user education... Regards, Stefan -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org