Can't decrypt .gpg file

Jack McKinney jackmc-gnupg-users@lorentz.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:56:08 -0600

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

Big Brother tells me that Florian Weimer wrote:

> "Jack McKinney" <jackmc-gnupg-users@lorentz.com> writes:
>=20
> > > Could you send us the first five hundred bytes of the file in
> > > question?
> >=20
> > Got it. I created an archive using the attached gpgtar script (whi=
ch
> > has worked successfully often) with passphrase "test".
>=20
> Okay, there are 4 superfluous new line characters on it (hmm, I get
> only two here). Otherwise, it appears to be fine. Most likely, these
> are the result of the "echo" lines in your gpgtar script. I'd suggest
> to redirect output to stderr for them as well, and they should vanish.
> It's possible that the "read" calls write to stdout as well, resulting
> in more newline characters.
Duh! I gave up on debugging the fact that my two pass phrase requests apepared on the same line a long time ago. Serious brain lapse in not realizing that they are going to stdout (esp. considering that I had the foresight to print the prompts to stdout!) Thanks VERY much for the help. I guess I'll need to write a filter to skip the first two bytes before passing these files to gpg! BTW... any idea why this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?