Windows interface for GnuPG?

Ed Suominen ed@eepatents.com
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:30:29 -0700

Copy of post to alt.security.pgp:

I've been looking for a Win32 shell for GPG for a while. So far, the only
ideas are:

(1) to use one of the existing Win32 shells for PGP 2.6.1 with pgpgpg, a
"commandline wrapper tool to allow the use of scripts written for PGP with
GnupPG," (http://www.nessie.de/mroth/pgpgpg/)
(2) to write some batch files that you can drag and drop files onto as
icons. (Simple, but very limited.)
(3) re-write on of the freeware front ends (most running under Win32 are
NOT open source) to work with GPG. See the following examples:
   (a) http://www1.kcn.ne.jp/~anthony/seahorse/ (GNOME frontend - could
this be rewritten for Win32? Is there a "GNOME emulator" out there for Win32?)
   (b) One of the better looking Win32 shells is "Scytale" written by
Patrick Buseine and available at http://scytale.rever.fr/main.html. Some
nice screen shots are at http://scytale.rever.fr/brief.html. The author has
told me he's interested in updating it to work with GPG but is very busy at
the moment and is not quite ready to open the source and maintain it.

The GNU Privacy Assistant, GPA, (http://www.gnupg.org/gpa.html) is in the
works, and when it's done it should provide THE solution, as long as it can
be compiled under Win32.

Let's keep in touch - a good GUI for GPG will eliminate the last remaining
need for PGP and NAI. (Sorry, Phil, but I'm disappointed in what's happened
with ADK and PGP 7. Plus I need a free solution for distribution to my
clients and colleagues.)

Ed Suominen
Registered Patent Agent
Web Site: http://eepatents.com