Which type of key should I choose and why?

L. Sassaman rabbi@quickie.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

Most users will only want option 1.

As for key sizes... hardware is fast. Make a 1024/4096 bit key. (2048 is
the lowest you should go... some people think higher is pointless. But I
am paranoid.)

There might be reasons, such as having a code signing key or a
certification key, not to want/need an encryption subkey.

Please note that you will NEVER want to use option 4. I really wish Werner
would remove it unless explicitly re-enabled in the config file. (ElGamal
signing keys have some potential security flaws.)

The GnuPG docs aren't the best. I offered to improve them a while ago if
the authors would let me reprint them as an appendix in an email security
book I am working on, and they got prissy about GPL issues. Oh well.

Hope that helps.