GnuPG fails to import some PGP keys

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:25:11 +0200

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Daniele Arena wrote:

> This issue has already been addressed in the message "Problems importing a
> public DSA key" (http://lists.gnupg.org/gnupg-users-199908/msg00011.html),
> but the answer from Werner Koch was "Something is wrong with the ascii
> armor [...] Try to get the key from another source".
I have looked again at that message and I was able to import the key using this trick: gpg --dearmor < msg00011.txt > x; gpg --import x The dearmor strips the armor the same way gpg does it but creates an outputfile even when you get a CRC error. The CRC does make sense to protect against transmission errors but there is no cryptograhic reason why it is needed. Two solutions: a) Write a utility to regenerate the CRC b) Implement --ignore-crc-error in gpg Probably you want me to implement solution b - should not be a problem. BTW, The keyring handling code in GnuPG is not very fast and keyrings are anyway limited to 2GB - This is currently not a problem but it might turn out as a problem in the future. I am currently working on gpg 1.1 and the keyring stuff is already much faster; eventually (in 1.1) we will have real fast key access by using a different way to store the keys. The format of the keyrings will of course be supported for import/export because this is what OpenPGP demands. Hth, Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org