Insecure Memory Warning! ???.

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:26:14 +0200

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> Seriously, given the amount of times this is posted to this mailing list,
> this warning needs to disappear, or point the user to some relevant
It would be easy to do this, but some other folks would then assume that the locking problem has been solved by other means and therefor they don't get the warning anymore. Maybe another Linux version decides that a session is allowed to lock a few K with user priviliges. There used to be a patch for Linux somewhere which did something like this. OTOH all the folks who asked about this have never read our man page: BUGS ^^^^^^ You want to know about bugs, right? On many systems this program should be installed as setuid(root). This is necessary to lock memory pages. Locking memory pages prevents the operating system from writing memory pages to disk. If you get no warning message about ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ insecure memory your operating system supports locking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ without being root. The program drops root privileges as soon as locked memory is allocated. and greping for "secure" or "memory" takes you to --no-secmem-warning Suppress the warning about "using insecure memory". If a distribution decides that this warning should not be there, they are free to add this option to /usr/share/gnupg/options.skel. Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org