Signatures and GnuPG and PGP 6.8.X

Caleb Land bokonon@rochester.rr.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:11:32 -0400

Hello,
	I'm using GnuPG 1.0.4 (patched to not complain about
deprecated algorithms), and a friend of mine is using the newest
freeware PGP program (6.8.something).  When I encrypt a file and sign
it and send it to him, he can decrypt it, but his program reads that
it is a bad signature.
	Now, I tried both attaching the file\ and using mutt to
encrypt and sign it, and I tried doing:

---output---

[caleb@deepthought caleb]$ gpg --armor --sign --recipient "Brian R. Boyce" --encrypt test.c
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Caleb Land (RedHatDude) <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 29402314, created 2000-10-18

---/output---

	He can decrypt the file fine, but it reads that my signature
is bad.  I moved my private/public keypair to a windows box with the
newest version of freeware PGP, and sent him a file which I encrypted
and signed, and all went well.  It both decrypted and the signature
checked out okay.
	I hope that this is enough information.  Unfortunately, I am
fairly new to this stuff, so I don't understand it too well.

	One more thing:  I get a message which I don't understand when
I try to decrypt files sent by him to me:

---output---

[caleb@deepthought caleb]$ gpg --decrypt DTF-802.pdf.asc > DTF-802.pdf
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Caleb Land (RedHatDude) <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>"
1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 0E85FED7, created 2000-10-18 (main key ID
29402314)

gpg: encrypted with 3072-bit ELG-E key, ID AA4D2A27, created
2000-10-16
      "Brian R. Boyce <Veritas@rochester.rr.com>"
gpg: no secret key for decryption available
gpg: Signature made Mon Oct 23 12:09:06 2000 EDT using DSA key ID
752A64A7
gpg: Good signature from "Brian R. Boyce <Veritas@rochester.rr.com>"

---/output---

	What does "gpg: no secret key for decryption available" mean?
The file decrypts fine, but I have no idea what the error (warning or
neither?) message means.

--
Sincerely,
Caleb Land