Moving keyrings to a different box

Ben Beuchler insyte@emt-p.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:30:54 -0700

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 11:44:24AM -0700, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> I recently had to move my account from one Linux box to another. I
> built gnupg on the new system and just copied my .gnupg directory from
> one to the other. I now have problems decrypting messages encrypted
> using my public key. However, if I encrypt a message to myelf on the
> new box, it decrypts fine.
>
> Should I have done something differently here?
I should probably add that the original keys were made with GPG 1.0.3 and the new box is running 1.0.4. And a little more detail would probably be in order: I generally use mutt. I first noticed the problem when it would start showing messages like this (note the blank message): [-- PGP output follows (current time: Tue Oct 24 17:28:02 2000) --] gpg: Warning: using insecure memory! [-- End of PGP output --] [-- BEGIN PGP MESSAGE --] [-- END PGP MESSAGE --] Pasting the message into gpg manually causes GPG causes it to fail transparently, without any error messages. It prompts me to "Go ahead and type your message ..." and I paste it in. It then says: You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user: "Ben Beuchler (MAILER-DAEMON) <insyte@bitstream.net>" 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 480FBF79, created 2000-09-20 (main key ID AFED231A) Enter passphrase: After I type my passphrase and hit enter, it immediately drops me back to the shell without any error messages. I am not passing any options to gpg on the commmand line and I even renamed my options file to prevent any conflicts there. I tried using the --debug-all flag but that did not return anything that made sense to me. I would be happy to stick it up on a website if that would be of help. It was a bit large to attach here... ;-) Thanks, Ben -- Ben Beuchler insyte@bitstream.net MAILER-DAEMON (612) 321-9290 x101 Bitstream Underground www.bitstream.net -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org