decrypting pgp with gpg

Ole Bents ole.bents@mips.biochem.mpg.de
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:10:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi ev'ryone!

This might be a FAQ, but I haven't found a suitable answer yet.

My problem:
I want to exchange encrypted documents. I'm using gpg-1.0.2 for some
real unix and my partner on the other side of the tapped channel is
using pgp-6.5.1i.

We've exchanged public keys and he can decrypt the messages that i've
encrypted using his pubkey. But I cannot decrypt his mesgs

This is what gpg says:
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: [some name]
1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 4200E2E2, created 2000-09-14 (main key ID 6D274C63)

gpg: cipher algorithm 1 is unknown or disabled
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 4200E2E2, created 2000-09-14
      [same name]
gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

i've created my key pair using the defaults.

is there anyone who has experienced something similar?
creating a new keypair is not really a problem since this key is not
distributed so far...

thnx
Ole Bents -- http://www.mips.biochem.mpg.de/~bents/