export inquiry

Christy Fowlkes cfowlkes@aventail.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:11:25 -0700

Hello,

My name is Christy Fowlkes, I work for a company called Aventail we are an
extranet service provider.  In the context of the managed service we offer
our customers we ship a rack or Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) to our
customers, often outside the US.  I was hoping someone could help me with an
export question. Since we are the shipper of record we are responsible for
making sure that we are following export laws for any hardware or software
included on the CPE. My question to you is whether there are any export laws
that I need to be aware of related to GnuPG 1.0.1 we have loaded on the
CPE's.  If someone could direct me to your export expert or some literature
on the subject it would be much appreciated.
The main thing I am concerned with, as our government and the governments of
the world are worried about, is encryption. To that end, there are a couple
of pieces of info I need to gather from you regarding the export status of
the GnuPG software that will tell us what we need to know.
Specifically:
1. ECCN number (should be in the following format "5D002") -
2. CCATS number - this tells us if the product went through a technical
review with the US government.
If they have a CCATS number then we also need to know:
a. when the CCATS was issued
b. what subsection of the EAR (Export Administration Regulations) it