Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created

Darren Scott dscott@bluecheese.co.uk
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:07:41 +0100

--------------31227AC6424882334997BD2F

Hi,

I'm having some real problems getting GnuPG working: A trustdb.gpg just
never gets created - and every time I try to do something with my newly
generated key pair, I get the following:-

gpg: fatal: ./.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't open: No such file or directory

I've deleted my ~/.gnupg directory several times and started from
scratch, following the handbook and howto instructions on generating a
new pair. I can do --list-keys and everything looks fine. Then I try
--edit-key and the same message appears yet again! --update-trustdb
gives the same error as well

I've seen some postings from people who have deleted their trustdb.gpg
files, and had new ones automatically created but not for me! I've even
given world-write access to ~/.gnupg in case it was a permissions
problem - but no.

I renamed my ./gnupg directory, and tried to import the keyring into a
new one (as I had seen somebody else doing in the list archive).
Everything except trustdb.gpg was created...

<snippet>
gpg: ./.gnupg/options: new options file created
gpg: ./.gnupg/secring.gpg: keyring created
gpg: ./.gnupg/pubring.gpg: keyring created
gpg: pub  1024D/C31A67A6 2000-09-25   Darren Scott (Executive Director)
<dscott@bluecheese.co.uk>
gpg: key C31A67A6: public key imported
gpg: fatal: ./.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't open: No such file or directory
</snippet>

Thanks for any help or advice - please cc: replies to me personally as
I'm not a subscriber.

Version 0.9.8/Red Hat 6.1 - same problem with both RPM and source
installations

--
Darren Scott
Production Director

begin:vcard
n:Scott;Darren
tel;cell:+44 (0)7974 131603
tel;fax:+44 (0)1225 312878
tel;work:+44 (0)1225 780040
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.bluecheese.co.uk/
org:bluecheese.co.uk;Production
version:2.1
email;internet:dscott@bluecheese.co.uk
title:Production Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;King's Court=0D=0AParsonage Lane;Bath;Banes;BA11ER;England
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Darren Scott
end:vcard