GnuPG 1.03, RSA/IDEA, and cipher-algo preferences

Glenn Leavell glenn@leavell.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:24:13 -0400

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 09:54:27AM -0500, Frank Tobin wrote:

# >        --cipher-algo name
# >                  Use name as cipher algorithm. Running the pro­
# >                  gram with the command --version yields a list of
# >                  supported  algorithms.  If  this is not used the
# >                  cipher algorithm is selected  from  the  prefer­
# >                  ences stored with the key.
# >
# > This makes it sound like I can associate a default cipher algorithm
# > preference for each key in my keyring.
#
# It does?  Doesn't sound like that to me.  What it means is that you
# specify not a default cipher for the key, but a cipher to use for that
# session.  That is, you use --cipher-algo in conjunction with --encrypt or
# similar command.

Thanks for the response.  I didn't mean that the man page description for
the --cipher-algo option was to be used to specify a general preference.  I
was referring to the sentence that says "If this [the --cipher-algo option]
is not used the cipher algorithm is selected from the preferences stored
with the key."  And my question is:  How do I specify that stored
preference?

Thanks again,
Glenn