New getkey.c code (was: Warning message with 1.0.4f)
Sun Apr 1 13:05:02 2001
On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Brian Galbraith wrote:
> Apologies.....but would you mind explaining the advantages of the new
The new code in getkey.c solves a couple of problems:
* Key and user ID expiration or revocation does now work correct.
* There is a way to figure out the "primary" User ID.
* GnuPG select the appropriate subkey in case you have several of
* Key flags (at leats needed for RSA keys) are supported.
* Probably more things I can't remember right now.
It does now only use the public key for selection because:
* Nearly all information in the secret key is a duplicate of the
* It is very difficult to keep public and secret key syncronized.
* It prepares a way to replace the secret keyring with a simpler
mechanism, i.e. just store the really secret information
* The code complexity is reduced because there are less syncronization
issues and no need to duplicate a lot of code for public key and
secret key usage.
BTW, be warned that in future you won't be able to just copy
pubring.gpg - instead you have to use the --export and --import
Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
g10 Code et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.
Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus