Signature, fingerprint or public key?

Anthony E . Greene agreene@pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 16:24:01 2001

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 05:45:24 Subba Rao wrote:

>1. What is the commonly used means of identification? This is for email
> identification and document/Web Pages authetication etc.? Is it public
>key, Signature or fingerprint?
I suspect you mean "What is the commonly used means of authentication?" This is not a simple subject, but I will attempt to answer only the question that I think you are asking. To associate an electronic object (email message, web page, other electronic document) with a person, that person should sign the object using PGP/GPG. A public key is just a means of checking the signature. A fingerprint is just a way to identify a public key.
You do not need to include your public key in email messages, just include your keyid. The keyid can be used to retrieve your key from key servers. Tony -- Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/> PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D Chat: AOL/Yahoo: TonyG05 ICQ: 91183266 Linux. The choice of a GNU Generation. <http://www.linux.org/>