Problems with file opening

Marshall Dudley mdudley@execonn.com
Mon Apr 2 18:09:06 2001

I installed gpg on my windows system with no problem, and have exported
a key.

I also installed gpg on my unix system without any problem.  However I
am unable to get it to do anything.  The problem seems to be that for
some reason it is unable to open any files.  I am running while a super
user, so there should not be any problems with insufficient security.

For instance, if I try to import a key I get the following errors:

gpg --import key
gpg: keyblock resource `/root/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: keyblock resource `/root/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: no default public keyring
gpg: error reading `key': general error
gpg: import from `key' failed: general error
gpg: Total number processed: 0

"key" is a file in the directory I am running this from, but it is
apparently unable to read it for some reason, and is also unable to open
/root/.gnupg.

I have searched the faq, howto manual, but am unable to find this
behavior addressed.  I did find one thing in the FAQ which reads:
6.5) GnuPG 1.0.4 doesn't create ~/.gnupg ...

That's a known bug, already fixed in the CVS (and will be in the next
release, of course).

I have checked and there is no /root/.gnupg file, but have no idea how
to create it since I don't know what goes in there. The FAQ doesn't give
any workaround for this problem.  How do I make it create this file, do
I have to wait for the next release before getting a version that will
work?

Thanks,

Marshall