New Format for PGP/GPG Secring ?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri Apr 13 19:42:02 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nick Andriash wrote:

> "I didn't like much the format of PGP keyrings, but after the publications
> about oddities of storing primes separately and number-of-bits in
> unprotected form, it's time to change the format. I don't like to invent
Number of bits are stored encrypted in OpenPGP. You don't have to care about the keyring format in your implementation because OpenPGP is a message exchange protocol and every implementaion is free to use whatever format it likes to store the keys. It will probablay take a while until we will come up with a new format. Because sending secret keys just protected according to the OpenPGP specs is a silly idea anyway, there is no urgent need to change the secret key exchange format. That new attack can be easiliy avoided by verifying a signature just after creation. GnuPG 1.0.4g does this. Ciao, Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus