Re[2]: AW: GnuPG with PHP

William X. Walsh William X. Walsh" <william@dso.net
Mon Apr 23 13:01:01 2001

Hello Werner,

Monday, April 23, 2001, 3:21:37 AM, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Ricardo Dias Marques wrote:

>> I think these two are acceptable for gnuPG, since gnuPG is
>> non-commercial software. Am I right? This is NOT intended as a flame:

> In the GNU project we don't care whether something is commercial or
> non-commercial but whether it is free or proprietary. You can use
> any GPLed software and use it for whatever commercial purposes you
> can imagine - you have just to comply to the GPL and the GPL does
> not talk about money. Actually it is a Good Thing to take money for
> Free Software and we encourage this.

> This thread started out with the question whether one can link GPLed
> software to PHP. From my understanding of the license (I don't know
> whether the Zend thing is really needed), PHP 4 is not compatible to
> the GPL and thereofre you can neither statically nor dunamically
> link GPLed code to PHP interpreter/compiler or whatever this thing
> is called. You can however create a separate process from a GPLed
> program (i.e. fork/exec it).
The restrictions would apply only to distribution of the solution. However, there is nothing that would prevent you from doing it strictly for your own purposes or use. Nothing in either license would prohibit you doing it for yourself. Unfortunately, the GPL's lack of freedom would prevent you from helping others by making your solution available to the public. -- Best regards, William mailto:william@dso.net