GPG PGP S/Mime vulnerability

Clay Haapala clay@haapi.mn.org
Sat Aug 4 05:02:01 2001

This makes so much common sense to me that I must write in support of it
-- a digital signature is akin to a public notary's signature -- I'm not
saying equal to that, in today's environment, but akin to it.  As I
write this, I realize I don't know how much non US-citizens (or
non-Minnesotans, for that matter) know about being a notary public...
I'm sure there are many local governmental equivalents of public
witnesses to the signing of private documents.

Anyway, Ben's point is well taken.  Sign a document iff it has
information in it that you want to "own".  I can't think of a reason
anyone would want such information to be ambiguous for any of the
objective content.

As email systems work today, to casually repackage a signed email inside
your own envelope and remail it would cause SMTP headers to be created
that are likely out-of-time with the timestamp incorporated with the
digital signature, but that doesn't preclude some clever spoofing of
headers through MTAs.

-- Clay Haapala clay@haapi.mn.org "Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get." -- from the sayings of Lazarus Long