PGP: Invalid key ?

Lars Geiger Lars.Geiger@gmx.net
Sat Aug 18 18:35:02 2001

Hi Alexander,
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, at 16:51:43 +0200, you wrote:

>> Yes, you are using a key *pair* in PGP that wasn't created in PGP. So

> A key pair? You mean, both the public *AND* private key? Uhm - why is
> that?
I thought you also had exported your private key (and imported it into PGP) because you spoke of:
>>> Encrypting/decrypting messages works both ways
But you can only encrypt *and* decrypt both ways, if both GnuPG and PGP contain your key *pair*. However, if you have only your public key imported into PGP, my second statement still remains true. In this case, you will need to sign it with a another key to certify that it is a valid key from the person it claims to be. After you have done that, PGP accepts this key as valid and allows modifications to the "Trust" settings. You should perhaps read the PGP help on the subject "Web of trust" to get a better understanding of how that whole mechanism of key validation works. -- Regards, Lars ____________________________________________________________
| Lars Geiger | <mailto:lars.geiger@gmx.net> |
| PGP Key: <mailto:lars.geiger@gmx.net?Subject=GetPublicKey> |