Password reset

William X Walsh William X Walsh <william@dso.net>
Tue Aug 21 01:09:02 2001

Monday, Monday, August 20, 2001, 11:39:32 AM, Subba Rao wrote:

> I have created my keys a while ago but have not used it as much as I wanted
> to. The worst part of it is that now I am begining to exchange some work
> files with my team and I cannot remember my password. Now I cannot sign the
> keys they sent to me. Everytime I use the "--sign-key" option, I am prompted
> for a password. I have tried all from the set of passwords I use.

> Is there any way to reset the password on this key? I would like to avoid
> creating a new key.
No, there is no way to do this. What you may want to do in the future is either make a copy of the unencrypted key on a CD or floppy, or even just print it out, and store that unencrypted copy in a secure location. Then at least you have an unencrypted copy you can enter in and use in the event you forget the password you encrypted the private key to. -- Best regards, William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>