Backwards compatibility

Stefan Bellon sbellon@sbellon.de
Mon Feb 12 15:04:01 2001

Is it possible to sign an old PGP 2.x key with a current GnuPG key and
then re-import the signed key in the PGP 2.x keyring? I'm quite aware
that PGP 2.x hasn't implemented the algorithm itself, but shouldn't
importing of the signature work so that at least the signature can be
displayed?

If I try the following:

    gpg --output public.asc --export mykey

    pgp -ka public.asc

Then I get the following from PGP 2.6.3ia:

    Looking for new keys...

    Unsupported packet format - you need a newer version of PGP for
    this file.

    Unsupported packet format - you need a newer version of PGP for
    this file.
    No new keys or signatures in keyfile.

Is there any way it can be done, or is it just not possible to sign an
old 2.x key for somebody who only has PGP 2.x?

TIA.

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 GnuPG fingerprint:  55DB 48FE BA59 7BA0 2B9D  4822 38C5 EC21 0536 0CB9

 3 reasons for being a teacher: June, July, August