PGPFreeware and GPG

Andrew McDonald andrew@mcdonald.org.uk
Tue Feb 27 23:23:03 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:34:53PM -0800, Dale Harris wrote:

> This has likely been answered before, but I couldn't really find anything
> off hand in the archive. I was able to import a PGPfreeware 5.5.5 key
> from a friend, and it would appear that I can encrypt stuff using that key.
> However I cannot decrypt it, like I normally would, with my key.
>

> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 5943481D, created 1999-10-10
> <.. id omitted ..>
> gpg: no secret key for decryption available
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
If you've encrypted it with your friend's public key, then obviously you can't decrypt it, since you don't have his private key. :) By default, gnupg doesn't automatically encrypt it using your public key as well. You can get it to do this, e.g. by adding a line containing "default-key YOURKEYID" to your .gnupg/options file. Andrew -- Andrew McDonald E-mail: andrew@mcdonald.org.uk http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/andrew/